Thursday, September 01, 2005

Appreciate How Lucky We Are

I generally leave my political or world views away from my blogs but today is an exception;

When bad things happen, I undoubtedly feel saddened. It occupies my mind and I do think "what if that happened to me?" Like the generation before us, we have unfortunately been part of a generation which has seen some "catastrophic" events occur - September 11, the Bali Bombings, the Tsunami, the London Bombings, the refugees in Sudan, the stampede in Iraq, and most recently, Hurricane Katrina. As these events have passed, while I feel saddened, I've found that I no longer feel the heartwrenching pain that I felt earlier on in these times - whether it was caused by an act of terrorism, mother nature or some other cause.

Is it that I have become desensitised to catastrophe?

Has the word "disaster" been used too many times lately, that as each event occurs, it is just a number of human beings being counted as dead?

The reports over "over $200 billion dollars in damage" doesnt raise an eyebrow anymore. I do not even know how much that is. Does anybody really know how much $200 billion worth of damage really is?

The real damage from Hurricane Katrina was initially underestimated. Now, as the floods as slowly subsiding, areas are becoming more accesible, and more information is coming to hand, the world has begun to see just how much damage has really occured as a result of the "catastrophe". We have now seen entire towns levelled, concrete highways shattered like glass, oil rigs pulled from their hinges and dragged downstream. Basic santitary needs for refugees are non-existant, millions have become homeless, and lawlessness is ruling most areas. While the exact figure is unknown, the Mayor of New Orleans has stated that the death toll "may run into the thousands." The one thing they do know in America, is that this has been one hell of a storm to hit the deep south of their country.

What kind of a person am I to say "wow, that is really horrible, but Hurricane Katrina is not as bad as the tsunami that occured in South East Asia earlier in the year." Why am I thinking "Here, only thousands of people have died, thank god only thousands of people died this time." More than one thousand people died as a result of mother nature this week. When I count just how many people that is, it truly is a staggering amount.

But isnt the unfair and unneccessary loss of one life a tragedy?

It used to be.

Now I believe that I am part of a generation that has become so desensitised to loss of life in tragic or catastrophic circumstances, that it is even times like these that I am unable to truly appreciate how lucky I am to be alive.



K




P.S For anyone that would like a great big dose of reality - check out two reporters out of New Orleans who rode out the storm and their reports from their "bunker", where they are still more or less trapped. I wish them all the luck and hope they are recognised for their courage and support.

http://dancingwithkatrina.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home