Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Reality Check!

I sometimes spend my nights sitting here on the internet looking at what other people blog about. I love entering into other people's worlds, seeing things from different perspectives, and living vicariously through other people's experiences. I love searching random blogs, some very weird (ie. Kansas Knitting Klub), some really annoying (ie. endless runs of dodgy sites selling dodgy products and gambling tips), and some just very very boring. But then every now and then I stumble across a blog site which really really affects me.

Tonight I found one that gave me a reality check - that feeling I would expect to receive if I had a baseball bat to my skull. I come across endless blog after blog, where people complain about their lot, wishing that things were different, and drowning in their own misery... I sympathise with them, I do. I am one of the most sympathetic people to mental illnesses and that is no secret. But everyone should at least take a few moments to read the following entry I found on a blog tonight and then say to yourself "Is life really that bad?"

"June 15th started out like any other day. I did the same things I always do, that many other people do. Alarm clock, shower, brush teeth – all those things associated with getting the day started. On the outside, it could have been any ordinary day. However, it wasn’t like any day before it.A week prior, I was lying in bed, unable to sleep because I was really cold, which in June is a little bizarre. After putting four blankets on top of me, I was still pretty cold. The next morning, I took a shower. Afterwards, I began to sweat profusely. I put on one shirt and sweat right through it. I tried another shirt, with the same result. I thought at the time, the guy who does my laundry isn’t going to be happy about this. Needless to say, I thought it best to see the doctor. After explaining my symptoms, he started asking me all sorts of questions. We were both a little uncertain, so we took a throat culture and some blood samples. Better safe that sorry. In a week, maybe I’d figure out what the heck was up. Maybe I’d find out that I really WAS an ice queen.A week later – June 15th – I found myself back at the doctor’s office to receive the news. I thought it funny that I was getting the results back after all my symptoms had come and gone. No more chills. No more sweats. Sure, my stomach was back and forth, but I was pretty nervous about what was wrong, so maybe that could explain it.In the moments that shape us from one form to the next, we’re seldom ready. We as humans have the unique gift of trying to make sense of how we’d deal with various situations as if that will really make much of a difference. No amount of preparation can change the outcome; I can assure you of that.
“The tests confirm that you’re HIV positive.”
The doctor continued to speak, but all that I could hear was the indecipherable wah-wah-wah of the adults from the Charlie Brown cartoons. There were instantly a million thoughts in my head – where would it anchor first? So many things touched upon in a fast glimpse, like the rest of my life flashing before my eyes. Breaking the news to my mom. Confronting the person who gave this to me. How this would affect my friendships. Pending whispers behind my back in the near distance. What it would do to any potential romance from here on out. How long it would take before I get sick. Lying in a hospital bed, the remainder of my friends surrounding me, trying to be strong and falling apart on the inside. Equal parts rational and irrational, knowing which ones are which, but unable to process it effectively."
Now, is that not enough of a Reality Check for you?

6 Comments:

Blogger Oreo said...

Wow....that fits in pretty neatly with what I'm gonna blog about today...reality checks.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Oreo said...

The more I thought about it, the more I realized just how brave the writer of this blog is. I find some things hard, if not impossible, to blog about even when it is anonymous. So comming out and explaining the emotions of finding out you have HIV and all the feelings attached to that...I dont know I'd be strong enough to talk about things like that....

2:47 PM  
Blogger mi said...

oh wow.

it was shocking now that i've learned to walk in other people's shoes (and giving them back)...

it felt so strange walking in this person's shoes and asking myself "what would i do if it was me?"

and i came up with no answer.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Louis said...

What I found amazing about the post was the fact that they weren't trying to extract sympathy. They were just sharing their reality. She has to change her whole life and what she wrote down just scratches the surface of what she will be going through.

Humbling.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Louis said...

For some reason i assumed the writer was female. I am most embarrassed.

8:27 PM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Thank you so much for leaving your comments Freddy.

Firstly, as you can see from the above comments, we are all humbled by your outlook on life.

Secondly, I hope you didnt mind me referring to your blog. I try to be as ethical as possible when writing, and believe I should reference all material that is not my own.

Thirdly, I hope you didnt think I was making an example of you to make everyone elses problems seem not real or less important. You are very right. Everyone is fighting their own battle. How very true. It was your outlook on the whole situation which really blew me away - everyone can slide into their own state of misery regardless of how dire their situation is. I think overcoming demons of the mind is 70% of the battle.

Lastly, your condition is foreign to me. Admittedly, I've never really sat down and really thought about it. I'm frustrated by my own ignorance. Perhaps you have opened my eyes.

And that is the greatest gift I think you can give anyone. After all, it is the message behind my blog these days - to address issues which I sometimes think people overlook.

Thanks again for dropping by.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home