Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Arrogance or Art Form?


Kanye West appears on this month's Rolling Stone as an African American Jesus Christ, which comes out on Friday.

Lets not make this a race issue. Lets make it about respect.

Regardless of whether he is black or white, or whatever, Kayne West has mimicked the crucifixtion of Jesus Christ, an action which I believe is deliberately sensational, and done in order to gain exposure as an artist.

The media reports at that West believes "being outspoken is a key to his success.". Kayne allegedly states "If I was more complacent and let things slide, my life would be easier, but you all wouldn't be as entertained." West allegedly told Rolling Stone that "he must suffer for his success…just as Christ did." (http://www.undercover.com.au/news/2006/jan06/20060125_kanyewesta.html)

Well, Kayne, there's something I need to tell you - I'm not entertained, I'm offended.

Oh, here's another thing - I'm not religious, but what you have done is infuriatingly arrogant.

Oh, and stop disguising yourself as a crusader of political persuasion. Because all you are doing is pursuading me further not to listen or purchase your music.

Rolling Stone - Shame on you for giving this twat a forum to post his nonsense.

"IF KANYE WEST HAD BALLS, he'd pose as Mohammed, instead of Jesus. But he doesn't. Efforts to be controversial have become so predictable. Yawn."
Gary Reynolds --> http://www.instapundit.com/

5 Comments:

Blogger mi said...

i am offended by it. not because i am religious, or was at some point in life, but because i believe that to get respect, you must respect.

i wonder what the church will say with respect to that?

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Christ" is not about a "man", or an image, etc. It's all about his life and teachings and philosophy.

For the record, I am not a Christian (I suppose I'm agnostic). I don't know who the hell Kanye West is (I've heard the name) but the fact that someone, a celebrity even, "posing" as Christ should be controversial is beyond me. So what? If anything, it sounds like it's a comment on his lack of talent (need to try to sensationalize things to get media attention --but why should dressing as Christ be sensational). Weird. I don't get it.

10:44 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Sensationalism as per www.dictionary.com

"Arousing or intended to arouse strong curiosity, interest, or reaction, especially by exaggerated or lurid details: sensational journalism; a sensational television report."

Dressing as Christ is likely to arouse strong curiousity, interest or reaction for the very fact that Rolling Stone will be mass publication to a country that is populated by some highly religious people. Kanye has made a mockery of people's faith by comparing himself to a higher being. Doing it while knowing that it will create a reaction?

Sensationalism.

2:24 PM  
Blogger rob said...

How about Emen m`s rap to Mary now that would get em going eh?

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough...I should know better than to argue with a lawyer! ;-)

I guess it's b/c I don't live in America, which is indeed full of a lot of highly so-called religious people, that I don't really see why it's sensationalism...but I think you're absolutely right.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home