Thursday, February 16, 2006

Did I Just Commit Career Suicide?

I do not believe that I have to provide reasons for anything I do to anyone, but I feel that it is necessary to write this post. Not for the readers of this post, not for my critics, not for my supporters. I want to write it for myself. And then after I have written it for myself, it may also assist people in understanding what I have done.
.
Words that are kicking around at the moment include "failure", "career suicide", "mistake" and "regret". However, so that there is no misunderstanding, none of these words are on my mind. And will never be.
.
I may not necessarily have ever wanted to be a lawyer. I was told that I would never ever be smart enough to do it so I never considered I would enter the profession. But I was provided the opportunity to study it and I like everything I did, I gave it my one hundred per cent. Soon enough, law became my passion. I loved studying it, I loved questioning it and as a result, my marks showed. When I stood up on graduation day and I accepted my Bachelor of Laws with First Class Honours, I believe that it was a reflection on my dedication and passion towards law and everything it stood for.
.
While some may not hold the respect for the law profession, I do. And only those that stand before the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of New South Wales (or whatever jurisdiction to which they belong) to be admitted into the Solicitors Roll will truly understand what it means to be a lawyer.
.
I was lucky enough to have met my mentor at a very young age, someone who was just as passionate about the law as I was. Someone with very strong and admirable ethics, who never took for granted the role that he has in the profession. I was lucky enough to have been given so many opportunities by this mentor and (I hope he agrees) as a result, I was able to become a type of lawyer that was well beyond my three years of experience. I loved my job and tried to put in 100% every single day. No one will ever really know just how much I loved being an industrial relations lawyer.
.
Some of you forget (and some of you may not even know), I am only twenty five and a half years of age. Do the math. I was at university at seventeen. I did six straight years of full time study, and for the last three years of that, was often working a full time job as well. I was admitted as a lawyer when I just turned twenty three. I was practicing law when other kids were out popping pills and drinking themselves stupid.
.
I'm taking a break from my job, but not my profession. I will always be a lawyer and I always will. I hold immense pride for the position I have in society and I condemn those lawyers out there who are consumed with power and money instead of a sense of fairness.
.
So if I hold my job in such high regard, why am I leaving? Because I want to grow up and if I am to survive in this tough profession, I need to go and experience life. I need to go and learn all of the reasons why I shouldnt be consumed by power and money. I want to go and see a different view of fairness, one that isnt seen from a cushy, air conditioned city office. I am too young. I know nothing. I dont know of poverty. I dont know anything about sadness, happiness, struggle or independence... all of these things that I believe will one day help me to pursue my idea of justice.
.
I am taking this "break" in order to ensure that when I do come back and resume practicing, I can commit myself unconditionally to the profession, to my clients, and of course, to my employer. Because being a lawyer isnt something you just take for granted. Every day you have to give 100%. People tend to forget the risk that sits over lawyers' heads every time they go to work. If you dont believe us, go and check out the cost of professional indemnity insurance.
.
So I challenge anyone who wants to say to me that I have failed myself or failed anyone else by doing what I have done.
.
I invite anyone to come and tell me I have committed career suicide by walking out of the fantastic job that I have had to give away in order to do what I plan to do.
.
Those that know me well know just how important these next few years are for me.
.
And until then, let people tell me I am making a mistake because I certainly am not entertaining that thought. Nor will I when I am standing on the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, or I am holding an orphan in my arms in South America.
.

5 Comments:

Blogger Overboard said...

I'll climb Mt Kili with you!
Hey, am I the orphan in South America? :)
Nice post, by the way.
Terrible word verification torture to go through at the end of a fine read, though.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

fantastic.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not failure, not stupidity, and definitely not career suicide. The worst that will happen is you'll have a break and come back refreshed but I expect so much more.

For you, personal growth, greater understanding of people and for your future employer a much more committed and well rounded (in the emotional and humanitarian sense) employee.

I've seen it in a young friend of mine who did the travel thing - the experience was amazing.

Good luck

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home