Friday, February 17, 2006

I Heart My Sister

.
I love my sister very much. She is only three years older than me. But ten times more mature, more sensible, more worldly, more rational, and less selfish.
.
She was kind enough to leave a comment on my blog entry about RU-486. So I will leave it to her to explain why I think she is the greatest woman I know:
.
"My first baby was stillborn, therefore I know first hand that at 22 weeks, a baby is fully formed and requires a little more lung development, only a few more layers of skin and for their eyes to open in order to stand a strong chance of survival.
.
After my experience, I questioned abortion (understandably), yet still felt it needed to be an option for women (undertaken only, as Rob said, after counselling).I had a very high risk, complicated 2nd pregnancy and at 11 weeks gestation, was advised to strongly consider terminating my pregnancy as a result of worrying genetic test results.
.
Thankfully, we were fortunate enough to beat the odds and bring our little miracle baby into the world perfectly healthy! When I see pictures of my gorgeous Charlotte all over this blog I am awfully glad I trusted my gut instinct, which told me a baby was a gift in any form and to take a few chances and trust in my faith and in fate.It is for this reason I am staying firmly planted on my fence post.
.
At any rate, I certainly don't believe a male politician has any right whatsoever to even hold an opinion in this debate. Maybe, just maybe, you need to carry a life inside you to even know where to begin to form an opinion ... I certainly wouldn't wish a decision to terminate a pregnancy on my worst enemy. "
.

3 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

I'm really glad Abbott will be stripped of his power over RU486.

I can only hope that his plan for counselling women in the hope of reducing the abortion rate will be objective.

Oh, and your sister's baby is a cutie. :)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Overboard said...

Japan has one of the highest abortion rates in the world. Most of these abortions are had by married women!
Just yesterday I found a receipt under a student's desk for a pregnancy test!
Hope it turned out negative.


Nice post, by the way. Very moving.

Get rid of frigging WV.

9:23 PM  
Blogger rob said...

Great post! its a pity that some politicians don`t have the brains to consult those who know and matter most in the debate, before they place their foot firmly in their mouths. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us. Oh!By the way they don`t say "Mother knows best" for nothing, :o))

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home