Monday, April 17, 2006

A Day At The Sea

There are two types of travellers in Edinburgh. Firstly, there are the travellers that who get caught up in the madness of the first week, and continue to be mad until they leave. Then there's the other type. The type that get caught up in the madness of the first week and then realise that it is completely and utterly soul (and health) destroying. That type usually tone it down and begin to do things normally, like sleep at night, and sight see in the day.

Oh lord, I hope I am the second type.

I think I am.

I really need to be.

Edinburgh is one wild place. I know I keep saying it but it is true. I have never been to a place which is continually partying. Maybe in London, but in Edinburgh it is more obvious, because it is a lot more compact. For the first type, the day is simply a means to pass the time until the night comes along and more drinking can begin. Unfortunately, my body is at maximum overload and I think it is time for me to hang up the drinking boots, just for a few days. I feel like I have lived whatever I have missed out on in the last six years, in a matter of six days.

Cara and I decided that we would have an alcohol free day and finally get out and see some of what Edinburgh and the surrounding areas have to offer. Like two sun-searching Aussies, we caught a train out to North Berwick, which is Edinburhg's closest thing to a beach side resort. You will see from my pictures that it is not quite what us Aussies call a "beach", but it still had sand, water and a nice, happy atmosphere to boot.

Cara and I finally got to enjoy a day in the sunshine, where we wandered around the beach, listening to the waves, smelling the sea air and just generally enjoying the peace and quiet (as opposed to the thump thump of techno music). After a great day out, Cara and I made a pact that we would not longer fall into the gastly trap of Edinburgh, and that we would always take these days out to remind us of what we are really here for.


Not quite beach, but water nonetheless!

























.











Cara, like a true Cronulla girl, finally touches her first "not so real" wave since leaving home in December.

















Awww.. one of the North Berwick locals.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!

I think I'm becoming a 'kateonthego' tragic! I live for your posts!

Miss You :( xxx

3:24 AM  
Blogger mi said...

oh. looks like so much fun.. just to chill out for a few days...

it's always good to know you're having a great time in scotland!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm, like a true Cronulla girl, Cara appears to be showing off one of her assets as well as hitting the "surf"... Charming.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home