Saturday, September 24, 2005

Dreaming of Tuscany - Greve in Chianti

Ciao All,

Today I left behind the smog and claustrophobia of Firenza and took a bus to Greve in Chianti. Greve in Chianti fulfilled expectations in many ways, and did not in others.

Tuscany is a beautiful place, but in a different way to what I expected. Many people all over the world describe the Tuscan countryside as being the heart of beauty and the place of romance. Authors write of picnics on the Tuscan hillside, and the warmth of the Tuscan sun. And it is for this reason that I do believe that they are right in saying that the place is beautiful. There are rolling hills as far as the eye can see, vineyards that cover the countryside. There are colours of various sorts, but mostly shades of greens, burnt oranges and yellows. While there are tourists, many are slowly walking around, looking from shop to shop, rather than racing from one tourist attraction to another.

While Greve in Chianti is an amazing place, I think it is a lot like the Australian countryside. Because of this, I cannot say I was completely "awestruck" when I drove into the region. I was expecting to be hit by the "famous Tuscan views", views unlike any other. Instead, I saw similar beauty to that of my own country.

After driving through Chianti and into the town of Greve, I worked out that Tuscany is so much more than just the "views" of the countryside that they promote for tourists. And the town grew on me with every step I took. Greve in Chianti is about the lifestyle, the wine, the food and the people.

I started off the day with wine tasting and I have to admit, I could have enjoyed the wine tasting til all hours. However, as I am travelling on my own, I had to behave myself. The thought of navagating Florence upon my return to the hostel was too frightening to contemplate so I took it easy with the alcohol.

In Greve in Chianti, they have this anmazing place where you buy a "winecard" in the value of 10 euros, 15 euros, 20 euros and so on. You then walk around this massive cellar where you go to "wine machines", insert your card, press the button that corresponds with the type of wine that you want, and out comes the wine into your glass. Its almost like a coke machine... only better!

That said, the entire set up was done very tastefully (pun not intended!) Chianti is synonymous with its wide, as much as Australia is with the Crocodile Hunter. They called Chianti "a land to drink in, to inhale, to saivour with all the senses." The region is solitary and unsuitable for agriculture, but due to the hard work of the Tuscan community, for many centuries they have managed to produce some of the best red wine in the world... even surpassing that of the regions of France. Chianti wine is said to be free of impurities, clear and full bodied. The wine is made from different types of "traditional" Chianti vine plants ' Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Malvasia and Trebbiano. The Chianti area is divided up into seven subzones, being Classico, Montalbano, Rufino, Colli Fiorentini, Colli Aretini and Colline Pisane e Senesi. There are strict laws which govern the use of any of these words, as well as claiming your wine is made in Chianti. If the wine is not made up to scratch (even if it is actually made in the region), it still isnt allowed to have the name "Chianti" on the bottle. It isnt allowed to claim that it is from the subzones, nor is it allowed to be labelled as being made from the traditional Chianti vine plants. The "Gallo Nero" is the body which governs this. And if their rules arent strict enough, you cant even use the name "Gallo Nero" on the bottle, even if it is approved. After learning this, I began to realise just how serious they are about their wine here.

Given that i am only a week into a four week trip, I realised that I could not take any of the wine back with me. I enquired at the desk to see how much it would cost to have some sent to Australia and they quoted me a lazy 150 euro... about $300 australian to get it back there. I decided at that point that the wine was just going to have to stay there, and be bought next time I come.

Tomorrow I am beginning my trip to Cinque Terre. I may *cringe* stop off at the Leaning Tower of Pisa (as if i wasnt sick of tourist traps already) but if I dont, I will carry on to Cinque Terre a day early and spend the night in the first of the five fishing villages, and then the following night in Vernazza, the third.

Tonight I am having to throw out some clothes that I packed. I know, I know, I can hear you all saying "i told you so". But the backpack is getting far too heavy and as I plan to walk the trail of the Cinque Terre (which is 4 hours in total), I am going to have to make the backpack lighter. I will just throw out some of the less valuable items. It will also make room for any shopping I may choose to do in Paris!!!

I hope you are all well. I am doing fantastic, and admittedly, a little rosy from the Tuscan sun.

To all back in Sydney, GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the Sydney Swannies!!!!

To all back in Scrambletown and also Drummoyne/Balmain - Goooooooooooooooo the TIGERS!!!!

Good to hear the local teams are going well - just as I leave the country.

Talk to you later!

Love
Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home