Thursday, September 22, 2005

Finally - A Proper Blog Entry!

Ciao!

I have finally found a "normal" email centre and I am determined to write what has been going on for the past couple of days. Here I was, advertising this fantastic web blog to every single person I know and meet, and Iàve not been able to do a thing with it since i entered Europe.

Unforunately, I am not being able to download any photos at the moment - I am taking some awesome pics, but I just cant download them. Well I can do it, however, it zaps my camera of all of its batteries. Being in a hostel, there are only limited power plugs to recharge any of my electronic items and they are usually being used. When one does become free to use, I am too afraid to leave anything lying around in case it gets stolen (common concern for any backpacker). So at the moment, I am sneaking out to the bathroom plug at about 11pm when its quiet, plugging my camera batteries and/or phone in, sitting down beside it (trying to keep my eyes open while guarding the electronic good carefully) and waiting until whatever I am recharging has been given sufficient power.

So, I am two days behind in telling everyone what I have been doing. Where to start!!

After my first afternoon in Venice, I was exhausted, yet determined to get out amongst it yesterday, which was my first full day. I must say, the minute the train rolled into Stazione San Lucia the day before, my heart felt overwhelmed and I was nearly in tears. I was back in Venice and I could hardly believe it. This place (for those who have not been) is too amazing to describe. The eyes alone do not do this place justice. Venice is not just about its Grand Canal. It is a combination of sights, sounds and smells. There is a buzz about the place that is indescribable.

For those who do not know much about Venice, the Lonely Planet says that °Venice is built on 117 small islands, has some 150 canals and 400 bridges. Only three bridges cross the Canal Grande (the Grand Canale) - the Rialto, the Accademi and at the train station, the Scalzi. There are six °sestieri" (Quarters) (not sure how they can have six quarters??... nevermind) - they are named Cannaregio, Castello, San Marco, Dorsoduro, San Polo and Santa Croce. In amongst all quarters, there are canals, some small, some wide. The water is a chalky aqua colour, which contrasts magnificently against the coroding siena and terracotta buildings.

There is simply no way of learning your way around Venice without a map. Even with a map, you dont appreciate Venice unless you get completely lost amongst it. The Venetians have tried to assist tourists by placing signs pointing to the way to the "Rialto" and "San Marco" but it was a pointless exercise. There have been a number of times in the past few days where I have followed the sign for "Rialto", only to end up standing in the middle of Piazzza San Marco. The two locations are at opposite ends of Venice.

I was initially frightened about being on my own, but Venice has welcomed me with its cultural delights. Italian people are beautiful and proud, their language is like music as it rolls off their tongues and embraces you with its warmth.

On my first full day in Venice, I jumped on the "Vaporretto" to Murano and Burano, two islands where the "locals" of Venice live (as opposed to the tourists!). As I walked around them, particularly Burano (the quieter of the two islands), I could hear laughter, strains of italian music and the clattering of crockery as food was being prepared inside. Its these occasions where you wish that photograpsh could capture sounds. Burano and Murano still have the chalky-aqua blue canals and the cast iron bridge railings, but the "moments" you have as you walk around arent interrupted by some loud tourist group.

Today, I spent the day in Verona, approximately an hour and a half from Venice by train. For those that do not know, they say that the story of Romeo and Juliet took place here. Accordingly, the square where the balcony of the famous scene of the story occurs is packed full of tourists taking happy snaps next to a statue of Juliet. After I took the wrong bus which went the wrong way into the wrong area of Verona, I was seriously questioning why I had bothered leaving Venice. I could only think to myself "this place is a dump - no wonder Romeo and Juliet killed themselves!". Once I got on the right bus that took me back to the right place, I realised that Verona really is the truly magical, beautiful place where Romeo and Juliet lived and loved. I took numerous photos, ate Gelati (again) and happily took in the sights and sounds of Verona.

Tomorrow, I leave Venice for Florence. I am looking forward to a change of scenery, even though Venice is by far my favourite place on earth. I know I will come back to Venice time and time again, so for now, its goodnight to Venice but certainly not goodbye.

I hope you are all well and I will write when I get to Florence.

Ciao!

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home