Friday, December 02, 2005

A Sunday Worth Blogging About...?

Well its a Sunday evening and I am on my blog. I look out the window and see bright blue skies, and sunshine. Ah, another hot sunny Sydney day. I didnt get to appreciate it. Instead, I spent the day more or less trying to not fall asleep.

BABY DUTY

Last night I was on "Baby Duty". It being another lonely Saturday night (i'm saving money and avoiding alcohol, so that renders Saturday nights dull for me!), I offered to stay over my sister's house and look after the baby. By doing so, this would mean Annie and Al could finally get some decent sleep, even if it is just a couple of solid hours.

Baby duty meant I was up at 11.30pm, 2.30am, 4.30am, 7.30am and 10.30am. When I'd hear her crying, I'd have to get up off the rock hard couch I was laying on, race down to the bedroom, pick up Charlotte, tip toe back down to the kitchen area, rummage around the kitchen for the pre-made breast milk in the fridge, warm it up, get her to drink 80ml, sit and patiently rub her little back for however long it would take for her to burp, and then rock her to sleep. I'd then need to tippy toed back down the hall, place her back in the bassinet, and then wait to see whether she'd settle.

Ah, if doing that for one night isnt contraceptive, I dont know what is!!! Kidding. I have a new found respect for any parent of a child. It was tough, and I cant imagine how hard it must be to do that, night after night. I found that I needed to be careful not to rock MYSELF to sleep while rocking her. I can only imagine how hard it must be after two weeks of poor sleep.

But I would do it again in a heart beat. I may not see my little Charlotte again for some time after March 2005, so I am making the most of seeing her as much as I can.

THIS WEEKEND

Apart from looking after Charlotte, my weekend has been pretty uneventful. I really am trying very hard not to spend money, which is difficult for me! i've had mum take away three of the four credit cards I have (oops) to stop me from spending. I cant wait until March, where I intend to pay them all off and leave them behind. So, because I cant spend money, I find myself spending time with family and friends. And exercising.

So how much do I exercise each week? Its a question people ask me a fair bit. "Dont you think you exercise too much? Dont you think you are overdoing it? Dont you get tired?" Not at all, I say. For me, exercise is a lifestyle, not a fad. I see people coming and going from the gym, wanting to lose weight. It seems to be their only motivation. Because going to the gym doesnt really give results in the form of weight loss (well, not immediately) and people really arent that interested in it, even if they drag themselves there. They go and torture themselves at a gym class and complain about it the whole way through. Then, they give up because weight loss simply isnt a strong enough motivator to put yourself through the pain.









http://www.theolympian.com/sports/fall2004allstars/Swimming/khougan.jpg

Well, fitness should have nothing to do with weight. Its only that society focuses on exercise as being the key to weight loss. It is true, I do agree, but I think people need to begin treating fitness as life decision, rather than a "means to an end". There are so many benefits to exercise that people seem to forget about. When I am active, my moods are regulated, my outlook on life is so positive, and I have so much more energy. And getting into exercise doesnt mean launching into a high powered gym routine where you nearly put yourself into cardiac arrest. Leave that for Hollywood and those corny aerobics videos. If your body cant enjoy the exercise you are doing, then your mind isnt going to continue allowing it to do it.

I started out just doing small bits of exercise. I used to walk to work, which would take me 30 mins. I would increase my incidental exercise - by that, I mean, taking the stairs instead of taking the elevator. Using my lunch breaks at work to walk around the park. You dont even need to join a gym. If you dont like going to the gym, DONT GO. Dont spend the money on a yearly membership because the only people that benefit are those that will collect your monthly fee. The only way fitness will become a way of life is by doing exercise that you LOOK FORWARD to doing, the exercise that you can enjoy. Find a friend to walk with. Get off the bus that one stop before your usual stop and walk the rest of the way. A recent study has shown that regular exercise is actually more effective than antidepressants when treating mild to moderate depression. I totally agree.

Okay, so last week this was my exercise schedule:

Monday - 1.5km swim (60 laps x 25m pool), or nearly 1 mile
Tuesday - 3 km run on treadmill
Wednesday - 1.5km swim
Thursday - 3km run plus weights, pushups, crunches + stretching
Friday - Rest day
Saturday - 3km run, plus weights, pushups, crunches + stretching
Sunday - 30 slow laps + stretching

While this week was a relatively boring week in terms of variation, I try and do the following:

Monday - 1.5km swim
Tuesday - Step Class (Lunch) + Boxing Class (Night)
Wednesday - Rest day or 3 km run
Thursday - Step Class (Lunch) + 1.5km swim (or 3km run)
Friday - 3 km run, plus weights, pushups, crunches + stretching
Saturday - see above, or 1.5km
Sunday - Spin Class (bicycle) or 3km run or 1.5km swim

I'm not writing this to show off about how much I exercise. I am just trying to show that by starting off slowly, and finding things that you enjoy doing, you can get to a point where you are doing a fair bit of exercise and it isnt such a drag. Of course, I ALWAYS make sure I have rest day after a big day of exercise, or make sure I leave 24 hours between each activity. I also try and make sure I dont swim two days in a row because i need my upper arms to rest. And in the same way, I try and not jog twice in a row, because i need to rest the lower part. By alternating, I am allowing parts of my body to rest while working the other. I try to explain to people that this is why I dont get too tired, and dont feel like I am overdoing it. I make sure that when I rest, I rest well.

Not allowing the body to rest increases the risk of injury and burnout. I dont know what I would do if I ever became injured, because activity has become such an important part of my day.

So that answers some of the questions I have been asked. :)

I sound like a fitness guru rather than a lawyer! hahahah

2 Comments:

Blogger Oreo said...

Wow you DO exercise a lot :)

I totally agree that exercise should be fun...I really do enjoy going to the gym, and I love the way I feel coming out of it. I feel happier, SO much more energetic and healthy.

Unfortunately between socializing and just being plain lazy I dont get to it enough. When i am good it's 4 or 5 time a week...last week it was only one :( This week I am gonna be good and go a lot :) haha. You've motivated me now too!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Overboard said...

I have lost a heap of weight since being dumped. 8 kilos in 3 months.
I attribute this to
1] Not eating an evening meal
2] Going to bed early.
That's all I've been doing. I don't think I'm sick[I had an ovarian tumor 2 yrs ago and am in 5 year 'check' stage] coz I feel healthy enough physically[just the mental bit that's a bit skewered at the moment]
I really do recommend eating lightly at night. The school nurse, who I saw today, says the same.
I also do a coffee enema daily - this is to stop any dreaded 'C' returning and it leaves me feeling so fresh, clean and toxic-free.
Saying that, I intend to drink as much wine as is offered tonight.
Tee hee.
Mata ne.
p.s You sure must be fit!

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home