Monday, September 25, 2006

Things Are Falling Into Place



Things are finally coming together and I am actually seeing through that hazy cloud that was covering me. My plans are beginning to form and I guess the rest of it is up to God, and fate, and whatever else that will come into play.

I've been allowed back into Whistler Blackcomb for their Winter Season 06/07. And I am genuinely super excited. You see, back in August when I turned down the offer, I had so much going on, and I wasnt ready to face the fact that I would have to leave Edinburgh in order to go there. I wasnt ready for a lot of reasons - I had the Boy, I was enjoying my job, and not wanting to change what was comfortable. Now that time has gone on, I've worked out that it is time for me to move on, and that there is still so much more out there that I need to experience before I can settle down anywhere, whether it be Sydney or Edinburgh.

So I can now smile, and feel all giggly and excited about the fact that I am, for five months, going to be living and working in the world's most famous ski resort - Whistler Blackcomb - and also the home of the Winter Olympics 2010. I am not going for the partying. I dont want any of that. Its well known, sure, and a lot of the kids that go are there for that and only that. Instead, I am going because I want to put myself into another environment which differs from anything I've known.

I'm taking the risk I should have taken from the beginning - at least in terms of work. Going back to a law firm was good, because it has allowed me to settle and live comfortably in Scotland. It was good because I could travel and i could enjoy the festival and all of its (expensive) delights. But it was too safe. It was too much like what I did back in Sydney. Which is why the boredom has set in now and it is why I am ready to go and do something different.

I am going to be working with people that dont care for working 11 hours a day. I am going to be doing work which doesnt revolve around a 15 million pound corporate deal. I've been thinking about maybe starting up some photography on the side for some of the boarders, if I can manage to learn to get good shots. Who knows, maybe I will get a gig which could see me there for the Olympics in 2010. I can dream, cant I?

Anyway, so it looks like I am going to travel for a bit after my contract ends in November. I will head to Amsterdam first, and then for a couple of weeks, try my luck around Europe without spending too much of my money. Then I will head home for a couple of weeks, ready to start at Whistler during mid-December. It means I miss out on Christmas with the family, but hey, its better than nothing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

:) <|:)) :))
That's all-just big smiles!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Awesome. you're going to have a ball putting yourself out of your comfort zone. Nothing to be afraid of, it's just unknown to you until you learn all about it :)

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious! You're not going for the partying?! Well, of course you're not...knowing you as I do, you've got a much deeper philosopical/personal reason for going...

But you're ALSO going to get drunk and laid by a hot new ripped-ab-muscle snow boarder boy every Friday night, wake up late the next morning and hit the slopes, and then drink-dance-screw away Saturday night!

Trust me, you're gonna have a blast!!! ;-)

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home