Monday, October 23, 2006

Great Weekend


Yesterday, I went to Glasgow for brunch with my mate Ginni, from New Zealand. She's been living in Glasgow for two years now, now working as a paralegal whilst she studies her Art History Masters (go figure!). Ginni took me for a tour around Glasgow, and then we went to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum for a wee look around. Having just be refurbished, this museum is impressive, simply for the building in which the museum lies.


One thing I've learnt while travelling around Europe/Scandanavia is how much I actually enjoy going to art galleries. I was never an art conisseur (sp?) but am beginning to learn what types of art I like, what I dont like, certain artist I enjoy, certain artists that I think are not worth the accolades they get (ie. Picasso, Van Gogh). I've worked out that I love Classical Greek and Roman Sculpture, & Renaissance - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance, you know, the stuff of Donatello, Da Vinci.... I find that I understand sculpture a lot more than I do blots of paint that Van Gogh created. But as Ginni explained, Van Gogh and Monet etc were famous for challenging the common understandings of art, rather than for painting art which was commonly accepted as "beautiful".
While I was in Stockholm, I went and visited the National Museum and found an artist who I really liked - John Tobais Sergel (1740 - 1841). He created one of my favourite sculptures, Cupid & Psyche. I cant really explain why I love this sculpture so much. I just saw it that day and loved it. Behind every artwork there is a story told. I just looked at it and understood its story... maybe one day I will learn how to explain the story, not just understand it. Maybe I should go to the Library tonight and read up on it. Or maybe just sit on wikipedia.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home