Thursday, November 02, 2006

Amsterdam Part Deux

There is a little windows mediaplayer video doing the rounds at the moment of me dancing around to some Amsterdam karaoke song with a bunch of italian blokes at the Heineken Factory. I swear, it was only after the first Heineken, I assure you. It seemed like such a good idea at the time - "send your free video to your friends" it said. It was just one of many wonderful things you could do at the Heineken Factory, a haven for all beer drinkers. And the beer was good. Very good. And I guess the video was kinda funny too. I will try and attach it to the webpage for all to see. I am not ashamed. *blush*

My days have been gloriously filled with efforts to avoid the Dutch weather - if it aint blowing down trees, its hailing down bits of ice the size of fingernails. Oh yes, welcome to da Nederlands in autumn/winter. Its the pits. Its difficult to hold on to an umbrella, a hat, and a camera all at the same time. Not happy Jan. Day one (well, the first full day) was spent at a few markets and the Heineken Factory, which somehow managed to fill up a fair bit of my day, once I found my way about.

Yesterday, day two, I went exploring out to a Windmill Farm and Cheese Factory yesterday in a town 20 mins from Amsterdam, called Zaanse Schans - in order to get a bit of a feel for Dutch life in the 1700s. It ended up being a surprisingly enjoyable day, and in the 15 minutes that it wasn't hailing or tornado-ing, I managed to get some awesome photos done, and to anyone looking at the photos, they would not think i'd been out on a rainy day. I'll load them up when I get to a decent computer.

Today I travelled 40 mins out of Amsterdam and off to the Hague, the old capital city of Netherlands and also the Home of the UN International Court of Justice. It was all going gloriously well until the hailing and raining, and winds and hurricane came along and suddenly, wandering around the Hauge was the last thing I wanted to do. I managed to battle my way through the weather til I got to the Mauritihaus Museum, which to any art buffs out there, is one of the best museums in Europe (outside of Italy or France, anyway). It houses many of Rembrandts works, and I went to a special exhibition about the collaborative works of Rubens and Brueghel. Its most famous work was the best - Johannes Vermeer's "The Girl with a Pearl Earring" was definately a highlight. For those that arent art buffs, it was the alternative to battling out cyclonic conditions outside. Lets just say, I became a Dutch and Flemish art buff pretty quickly and tried to make the experience last as long as I could before going out and braving the weather again.

Two blocks of walking and I decided that my life could go on just fine if I failed to find the UN International Courts of Justice and if I didnt get a picture, so what. I am now at the station, using the internet, before heading back off to Amsterdam, for a final Heineken before carrying on the journey tomorrow.

Next stop? Berlin!

K

1 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I'm sure the city and locale images in my mind don't hold a candle to the real ones - can't wait to see 'em!! However I'm rather confident my mind's eye views of you battling Nature are pretty much right on...and really funny too!! 'Course, I'm all snug as a bug in a rug - and nuzzling a cozy cup of tea no less!!

**insert evil snicker**!!

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home