Sunday, December 04, 2005

Los Gorriones - A Little More Information


This is the outside of Los Gorriones, a picture which I have been given permission to use by "Papa" Gil.

I urge you all just to spend a little bit of time on their website - www.losgorriones.net

As I said in my entry before, I have never supported a cause ever. I am not the type of person to push "heal the world" messages onto people. But there has been something that has touched me about this place. I hope you see it too. I know Lesley has. I have given an excerpt of Lesley's entry on www.travelblog.org. Lesley even mentioned me in one of her entries, so I am now famous! (ermm.. well not quite) :

"The orphanage was set up using Gil and Chantal´s savings, and now relies completely on donations and the help of volunteers. A lot of their funding is received from their friends in Belgium. I would really like to widen the international circle of support. The very strong impression I have is that there is a lot of love in that place - much more so than in the orphanage where I currently work.

Gil and Chantal have made these children their lives, and this is the ethos adopted by all of the other employees and volunteers. The children are all very well cared for and very happy. It was an amazing contrast to the girls orphanage where I´m spending the remainder of my three weeks, and I must say a very positive contrast. I felt immediately at home there with the people. The kids are obviously given a lot of cuddles and physical attention, which is sadly lacking in the girls orphanage. They also have lots of fun!!

They have managed to successfully find homes for some of the children, but involvement doesn´t end there. Gil and Chantal will remain in contact with the family to ensure that the child is settling and is happy. Social workers will also be involved in the process. The main room is covered with photos of kids with their new families."

http://www.travelblog.org/South-America/Peru/Ayacucho/blog-29265.html

Keep reading Lesley's travelblog as she continues to report on her time in Peru. She is so lucky to be in Peru and she is preparing to head to Machu Picchu after Dec 10!!! It would have to be one of my dreams in life - to walk the Inca Trail and see Machu Picchu.

K xx

1 Comments:

Blogger Overboard said...

Check this out; fabulously successful project set up in the township behind my flat.www.swop-shop.za.net
p.s Been feeling better....started to thing about his negative points; his disdain for most people, entire nations[armchair theorist on 'facists'], how he hated my friends, the friends of his ex-wife, the stray cats, the man in the hardware store. He'd have been a misery guts to have sailed around the world with, whereas when I'm not giving myself bedsores from morose and morbid weekends, I'm usually all light and joy!
:)
Thanks for your uplifting advice, too.
Much appreciated.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home