Saturday, February 18, 2006

Blogs: A Generation Y Phenomenon

.
It is interesting listening to different generations and their opinions about blogs.
.
I was talking to my mother and auntie today about my blog. They read it, of course, but they find it incredibly strange that I write what I do on these pages. They say that I write "too much". By that, I think that they believe I divulge information about myself that would not ordinarily be put out in the public forum.
.
The thing is that I think I am quite reserved here on my blogsite. Compared to a lot of people's blogs, my blog is tame! I always make sure that I keep it tasteful, clean and respectful. I have a rule that I never write on my blog what I would not be prepared to say to someone personally. I understand that I am a reflection of what this blog contains so I always carefully think about what I write here.
.
So, is it that I am more willing to provide my views on my own life and current affairs (even though I am one of the tamest blogs out there!), or this a distinct difference between "generations"?
.

7 Comments:

Blogger rob said...

I guess that Identity theft is a real issue these days and one reads so much in the media about it. Obviously your Mum has your best interest at heart and wouldn`t want you placing yourself at risk in any way. I sometimes think that many of us Bloggers do divulge a little too much about ourselves, Maybe?

12:10 AM  
Blogger Overboard said...

I take great care to hide my true feelings in my blog. [chortle:)]

12:43 AM  
Blogger Overboard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:44 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

True... but I am always very conscious of what I say, and tend to avoid giving any real details about myself, inc. where I work, where I live...etc

12:45 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

For me, it's a simple means of getting the interaction and feedback that I crave, as well as indulging my lifelong love of writing. As to divulging too much? Well, I don't do anything different in my blog than I do in real life! I grew up in an environment of deception, secrets and half-truths (half-trusts?), so when I left that environment I simply vowed I would not, could not, continue thusly. To the greatest extent possible, no more secrets, manipulation, deception. Just say what I need to say, and let others figure out what to do with it.

Oh ... and just an aside, and to add my two cents: word verification doesn't bother me in the least!

7:38 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Thanks for your comments guys!

And welcome, Eternally curious.

I'm all for word verification.

;)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Thanks for the welcome, Kate! Hope you don't mind, but I've added your blog link to my blog's "Links I Like". Also, do I remember another post (or was it a comment?) saying that you'll be starting your journey on March 20th? Just happens to be me birthday! In any event, I can't wait to "travel" with you, albeit vicariously!!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home