Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Have I Found My Shangri-La?

.
When I read the guide books about Railey, they all described this place as Paradise. As a result, I knew that when I arrived here, I would be overwhelmed with its beauty. And I was not disappointed. In fact, Railey has not only matched my expectations but it has well and truly exceeded them. This place really is paradise. In ever way.
.
I arrived at Krabi on a Thai Airways flight from Bangkok, arriving at 9.30am. I found myself two new friends - two american guys from Colorado, Tom and Ian - by walking up to them and asking them where they were off to. I had noticed that they were reading about Railey, so I asked them if they wanted to share the cost of a cab ride to Ao Nang, where the long boats were waiting (Railey is only accessible by boat). They happily agreed, and off we went to Ao Nang.
..
. .

.
.
A cheap taxi ride and a short trip by long boat later, Ian, Tom and I found ourselves on the beaches of Railey. I was glad that I met Tom and Ian, because I was able to experience the "first sight" with someone, and was able to join them in being completely enchanted by that first glimpse of the beaches.
.
After spending forty eight hours in this resort village, I have found that Railey isnt described by people as paradise simply for its visual beauty. The food is glorious, the beer is cheap, and the thai people are friendly. There aren't too many hawkers hassling you to buy items, something I hear Phuket suffers from. The beaches are not deserted like brochures would have you believe, but that still does not bother me at all. Railey isnt as crowded as places like Ko Phi Phi or Phuket, and the small town feel is part of its charm.
.
No one is in a hurry here. People loaf around on the beach like cats sleeping in the sunshine. Then, after loafing, usually they will stroll down to the aqua blue water and paddle around knee deep. Then, after a while, they will then go back to their beach towels and loaf some more.

.
Given my tendency to experience bouts of Attention Deficit Disorder and hyperactivity, I havent really found joy in roasting myself on the beach like the majority of the part time residents. I have found fun by climbing muddy, limestone cliffs with Ian and Tom, running around the beaches in the tropical rain, eating glorious Thai food, kayaking to uninhabited beaches and sipping tropical cocktails. Yes, I have found My Shangri-La. This afternoon, I had a one hour Thai massage and I have promised them I will be back tomorrow for another.
.
This evening I am off for a "suit fitting". The village has a tailor, so I have paid him to make me two (three piece) business suits made out of imported italian material, all for a ridiculously cheap price.
.
And as if things cant get any better, I must inform you all that Railey is Destination No. 1 for scandinavian people - I am surrounded by holidaying Swedes, Danes and Norwegians. These people are beautiful. I cannot believe it. I have never seen so many bronzed, athletic men in my life. The down side to this is that "where gorgeous men are, their gorgeous women follow." Sadly, these women are as blonde as my skin in extrodinarily white. Their skin is as dark as my chocolate brown swimsuit. All of a sudden, my little striped bikini appears not so skimpy after all.
.

It doesnt bother me at all. I am just enjoying being here, rolling out of bed only to put back on the swimsuit, swim and then eat some more.

I hope you have enjoyed my photos from Railey. Thanks to everyone who has emailed me. I havent been able to respond individually, I'm sorry!!! Uploading these pictures on a slow internet is sucking the time away.
.
Mum, I'm doing okay and keeping suncream on. So Charlotte woke up and cried when the plane took off? Unbelievable. Little cutie. I hate being away from you guys, but I feel alive in a way I havent felt before. Give it a couple of months though - I will surely miss you still.
.
I'm off for a swim.... and go searching for some potential Swedish husband called Sven, or Johan or something.
.

.
.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, This place sounds great this place sounds pretty good, beats Scrambo on a good day. Sven, Johan, Kurt, Helmut, Franz any will do. Ive been checking all day, Annie said leave it alone till tonite in case you were busy. Me worried, but not now. Dont get sunburnt or you will spend your time there suffering. Charlotte was all smiles this morning and L was telling her bout your trip, she just laughed more. Nothing to report other than missing you, but I will be awight. Keep enjoying yourself and stay safe.

1:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, This place sounds great this place sounds pretty good, beats Scrambo on a good day. Sven, Johan, Kurt, Helmut, Franz any will do. Ive been checking all day, Annie said leave it alone till tonite in case you were busy. Me worried, but not now. Dont get sunburnt or you will spend your time there suffering. Charlotte was all smiles this morning and L was telling her bout your trip, she just laughed more. Nothing to report other than missing you, but I will be awight. Keep enjoying yourself and stay safe.

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's taken me half an hour to post this comment! At last! Glad you're enjoying the island, sounds heavenly! Charlotte said hello, but has crashed out now (hallelujah!) Tried teaching Ma how to tag her comment as Ma rather than Anonymous... it may take another lesson by the looks of it! We miss you like crazy but are both pleased you're lovng Thailand so much! Relax and enjoy! It'll do you the world of good. Emailed you as well, don't stress about replying, just be sure to keep this great blog up to date! :)

xxx

1:56 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

You're getting me excited about visiting Thailand in September. I have a couple days spare at the end of my tour, might have to check out the Island!! Awesome - This is what I like to hear about!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Yahoo - photos! And beauties at that! Altho I dare say - that 3rd one looks suspiciously close to meself when I first wake - before me morning coffee! And that 2nd one, I do believe, is a Tower Karst formation! Whoohoo! I've studied them somewhat (and written some too), but it's great fun to see photos. Thanks for sharing!

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home