Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So Close But So Far

.
Well I am heading towards the single digits. Soon it will be nine days left, then five days left, and then tomorrow. When people ask me "am I excited" I am unable to reply affirmatively. After all, no one likes to say goodbye to their family, particularly a family with one new little addition (baby). Its also hard to get excited because the wait has been so long. I have dreamed of doing this for about nine months (well, I started to seriously put the plan into action then). It has, of course, been my life long dream to travel the world. Every day for me since July last year has been one day closer to leaving. The unfortunate consequence of that has been that I have left many close friends behind and have more or less had to stay at home, night after night, trying to save money. And furthermore, nothing is as exciting as travelling the world... so for nine months, I've not really had all that much excitement, except for the four weeks I so luckily had back in September 2005 when I travelled to France, Italy and Switzerland.
.
The next week will be just like any other week, I am afraid. Sitting, waiting. Sleep will be hard to come by but it is to be expected.
.
Passport - check.
Tickets - check.
Visa - check.
CV - check.
Bank Accounts - check.
..
I guess I am as ready as ready can be in these circumstances.
.

8 Comments:

Blogger Susanne said...

You'll be fine! At this stage there's not much more you can do, so you just have to go for it. :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Overboard said...

I hear ya, Kate.
I can't sleep either.
And I haven't even resorted to booze to help.
Might do tonight though. Sick of these sleepless nights. Especially since I won't have my own bed for ages.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Oreo said...

YES!!! GO GO GO!!

I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!

NINE MONTHS WONT BE ENOUGH :)

I NEVER WANT TO STOP TRAVELLING!!!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I'd be worried about you if you weren't scared, Kate! What you (and "Owen") are doing would be unique enough for anyone, but the fact that you're both women makes it even more amazing ... and absolutely reassuring. If that's politically UN-correct of me to say in this day and age ... well, I can get away with it 'cuz I'm old!! Nonetheless, it's truth. Like I said before ... you (both of you) CAN do this.

And take it from one who has also left family and support system behind (albeit not nearly so far behind!) ... they will still be there. Thank God we live in an age of phones and emails ... not the same, to be sure, but still in all - they will be there when you really need them.

4:52 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Another thought just crossed my feeble little mind - I have to share it else it'll get lonely! This journey will be as much about discovering/experiencing yourself as it will be about discovering/experiencing the world. Might want to use this blog to journal both journeys - creating "save as draft" entries for your eyes only to document the journey of self. Trust me - when you get to be my age you will be a very different person. You'll wonder how you got to be that person - and memory alone will fail you. A written journal ("I witness account") of your own real-time thoughts and emotions will help you to piece the evolution together. Just a thought.

3:51 PM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Fear not, EC. I have been keeping a written journal of my life since the age of 15. This written journal is ten times more detailed than this blog, and is for memories sake.

I dont expect this blog to last forever, but my journals will.

:)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

You don't expect this blog to last forever? Instant sadness ... panic ... dismay. I can't bear the thought of loosing a friendship! Had the same thoughts when I just read "Doris's" post on her blog. Must tell her, too. Can't help myself ... I love my friendships!

4:40 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Dont panic, EC. This blog will stick around as long as I am travelling (which may actually be forever).

And if I did choose to shut it down, I would certainly get ÿour contact details.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home