Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Another Day in Stockhom

Well I wake up this morning to requests for more information about the robbery. As you will see from my entry below, from the local news, the robber wasnt actually in the building. So despite all of the fan fare, the robber had already gotten away and we were all standing around being nosy for no bloody good reason. I think it is just hilarious that I happened to be right in the middle of it, minding my own business...

Still, what an amazing experience to have seen on my first day in Sweden. Yes, the first thing that you notice about Sweden are its gorgeous men. The men are very very very good looking. And surprisingly, I thought that I would be walking down the road surrounded by gorgeous Greta Garbos too, however, it doesnt appear to be the case. Either the gorgeous Swedish girls were working or getting manicures, but I cant say there were as many as I thought there would be. And of course, from my photos, you will see that in order to join the Swedish police force, you have to be six foot something, tanned with a fabulous bone structure. Lets just say I wasnt too concerned about taking photos of the crime scene. I was merely there to document what a fine job the Swedish police were doing in protecting its citizens, oh, and an random aussie tourist. I suspect that the one that is standing with his hands on his hips knew full well that I was taking photos of him. I do have a few more photos of his back end too, but figured it would be more appropriate to hand them out to those who request them... heehe

Anyway, I have actually been doing SOME site seeing whilst in Stockholm. Yesterday, it took me quite a while to get the hang of the map, because Stockhom is infact a combination of 14 islands, all connected by a myriad of bridges and overpasses. I went and saw the Changing of the Swedish Guards at the Royal Palace )they were quite cute, but a little young for my liking) and then I went and had a walk around the historic area of Gamla Stan. I then wandered around for ages looking for a Tourist Information Centre, where I then purchased my "Stockholm Card". This entitles me to free entry into all of the museums, free boat rides, free buses and the like. That said, I have noticed that most of the museums I have attended have been free anyway, so I will be quite surprised if I make up the money I spent in purchasing the darn card. Nevertheless, yesterday I took a boat trip around Stockholm, and then I wandered around the National Museum of Fine Art. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Museum, and found a wide collection of Rembrandt, Rubens, Cezanne and many others. That then led me to the Robbery, which I stumbled across on my way home to the hostel.

Tonight is going to be an incredibly exciting night for me. Given that Sweden is the reigning Olympic Ice Hockey Champions, I have embraced my motto of "When In Rome..." by purchasing a ticket to the European LG Ice Hockey Games!!! Yes, I will be going to see Sweden play the Czech Republic at the Sweden Globe Arena.... sadly, I will be doing it alone, but hey, I would rather be there alone than miss out on a great opportunity like this. And because I purchased a single ticket, I have managed to score an awesome seat, three rows up right in the centre stands of the arena. I hope I get some guys face all mashed up against the perspex right in front of me!!!

Word is that this weekend it is the Swedish Kings birthday. I am staying here til Saturday, however I only booked three nights here in Stockholm to give myself room to change cities if I want. Anyway, I would have loved to see the festivities, except rumour has it that all accommodation is booked out from tomorrow night onwards.... and I doubt I will get a bed.

SO!

Never one to miss an opportunity, I have decided to take an overnight ferry across to Helsinki, Finland and spend the day there. The ferry costs the same as it would be buy a room in a hostel, so I may as well use the opportunity to my advantage and check Finland out while I am in the area. Make hay while the sun shines, they say.

So without further ado, I am heading off to spend another day in sunny Stockholm, take a wander through the Royal Palace and Apartments, go and see some more museums and go and purchase my ticket to Finland.

Til then, keep looking at those gorgeous Swedish men, because I can assure you, I am!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:48 PM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Alex, I ask you to not post any more comments of that kind of this web. IƤve told you before about this.

1:32 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

Please dont ruin this for the rest of us. I will have to shut this website down if it continues.

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you saying that you were, or that you were not, fantasizing about that cop's black leather holster slapping your derriere? (I was just picking up on the topic in your post, since it's something I know a bit about. Police work, that is.)

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home