Saturday, April 29, 2006

Vikings Ahoy!

Swedish people are graceful, stylish and poised. Finnish people are downright wierd. This is what my three friends on the boat, Emma, Katie and Liz decided after one hell of a wild boat trip back from Helsinki to Stockholm.

The boat ride on Viking Line's Gabriella was quite fun. Given that my money is running incredibly low and Mr. American Express has sponsored my entire trip around Scandanavia, I decided only to get an "air seat" instead of a cabin for the 15 hour, overnight trip. It wasnt so bad, apart from arriving in Helsinki, after 15 hours, with a crook neck as a result of sleeping on the floor. The boat ride was tame enough, and I managed to curl up in a ball and block the world out with my ipod in my ears.

We arrived in Helsinki, greeted by perfect blue skies and surprising warmth. Helsinki is the capital of Finland but you would never know it. The place is extremely low key, and to be honest, there wasnt that much to do from a tourist perspective. I spent the day walking around the town, taking photos and enjoying the sunshine. I found my way out to the old Helsinki Olympic arena where the Olympics were held in 1952. I even snuck a peak inside the Finnair Stadium next door where I think I caught the Finland Football team training (Papparrazzi Kate made the most of the situation by pulling out her FujiFilm!).

Given that there are really only three major tourist sites in Helsinki, I found myself bored by 3pm. So I jumped back on the ship. It was then that I realised what kind of cruise I had joined.

People go on Viking Line cruises for a number of reasons. You have the people who are trying to get to their destination (whether it be Stockholm, Helsinki etc). You then have people like me, who use it as a good trip to see another country (despite being a 15 hour overnight trip). And then you have those Finnish and Swedish people that come on purely to party. Liz has one friend from Sweden who has taken this cruise yet has never seen Helsinki. Go figure.

You see, the Viking Line cruises go back and forth from Stockholm to Helsinki and back each day, but half way through, it stops (at some wee time of 4.30am in the morning= in the middle of the sea at a place called Mairenheim (spelling may be incorrect). Day trippers who buy return tickets can either stay on board or get off in Helsinki. Well, Marienheim is an independant state (as a result of being fought over by the Sweish and the Finns for centuries) and has the benefit of being a Tax Free Haven and not part of the European Union.

Well.

As a result, Viking Line sells duty free liquor to all on board.

This weekend was no different. Actually, it was apparently even more wilder. Firstly, it is May Day weekend, which is a huge celebration in Finland. Secondly, the entire country of Finland was on board from Helsinki to Stockholm to come and support Finland in the icehockey at the Globe (where I was the other night) because Sweden and Finland are matched up tonight and it is seen as the "Olympic Final Rematch". Finns believe that Sweden should never have won the gold medal the other month. Finnish people dont like Swedes. And to have the Swedes take the Gold Medal at their teams expense was a kick in the teeth of National Pride.

I booked myself a "day seat" ticket on the way back, but as a result of a really scary guy who tried to kiss me (I am not kidding - it was terrifying), Mr American Express convinced me that this boat ride wasnt going to be like the boat ride the night prior, and after the incident, Mr. Express bought me a ticket in a cabin of my own for security reasons.

I have never seen so many drunk Scandanavians in my life. Sober, Finlands population are quiet, subdued and reflective. Get them near Duty Free alcohol and they go completely nuts. It was hilarious.

Thankfully, I met Liz from Ireland only minutes after the cruise set sail, and then we came across possibly the only 2 other australian girls on boat. The rest of the night saw us girls killing ourselves laughing at the circus around us, and it was just the funniest night Ive experienced in a long while.

My time has run out on this computer, so I have to cut it short. But, for the Aussies reading, how bizzare is this - I walk down some street in Stockholm and who passes me other than THE Greg, one of the twins that won Big Brother Australia this year. Craziness!!!!

Im off to catch my plane to Glasgow. Will be back online once Ive settled back in Edinburgh.

Till then, goodbye Svenska!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kato,

Love logging on and checking out your recent entries. Gosh you make me laugh. Just had the office huddled around reading bits and pieces and viewing your pickys. Babe, get a few printed and sell them at markets. You are SO talented. A real eye!!! We especially liked the real life crime scene haha... only you! Take care babe. Miss your daily emails xxoo Natty

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home