Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Whistle Me Whistler!

I hope Kiwidane doesnt mind me using his travel blog (http://www.travelblog.org/North-America/Canada/British-Columbia/Whistler-Blackcomb/blog-48024.html), but check out his written piece about Whistler, which is going to be my new home as of November:

So everyone has been telling me how great Whistler is. And I was like, yeah, alright, I have been to quite a few great ski resorts so how much better can it really get?

Well, a lot it seems. Whistler is like a fairy tale little village where every street and house has been perfectly architectually drawn. The ski area itself is over 8200 acres of both well groomed pistes and some great powder off trails. All in between the most beautiful majestic pine trees. In short, this heaven.

The first day on the slopes I was like a little kid on Christmas day. Up and down (mostly down :-) ) the slopes, I was literally the last person on the mountain when all the lifts closed. So, today I am paying for it. Every muscle in my body is aching. Think I forgot it had been nearly a year. Luckily for me, the one thing I have learnt from my coach Frank is: The only thing that heals muscle ache is just get out there and do it again. So, bright and early I got out of bed this morning, ready to take on the mountain again. And then something magical happend.
O Canada Full Image


As I was walking to the lift, coffee in one hand, skis in the other and a big grin on my face, it started snowing. Not little snowflakes that come flying at 100miles an hour, but big beautiful flakes that fell slowly on the ground and formed a soft white carpet. Making the world around you slow down and go all quiet. Moments like those, you just want to pinch yourself to make sure you are not dreaming.

So is Whistler really that perfect? Well, yes, I guess the problem is that it is too perfect. It is not real. The houses and the streets are too nice, too perfect, too unreal. However, you forget all that when you are flying down the mountain, wind in your hair, powder under your feet. That is real. And that's what makes it all worth it. Life doesnt get any better than this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice place. Those canadians sound much better then their north american cousins ;)

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are. They say Canadians are very similar to New Zealanders and Aussies ...

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hay Kate, dont forget you been there before, not Whistler but close, Vancouver and the stunning Rockies, the train too. Dont for get to get in touch with the Rellies, I can email their address. Mama Dawgie.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home