Monday, September 18, 2006

Okay, So I am Losing Serious Respect

I know that when I keep changing my mind about what I want to do, people are going to be less sympathetic when I am down about it all. Which I completely understand. So when I tell you all that I have asked the guys at Whistler to offer me my job back this winter, I can imagine that you will all shake your heads and tell me what a damn fool I am being. First it was Canada, then it was Africa, then it was Eastern Europe and then now it is Canada again.

The problem is that I have been, for the first time in my life, spoilt for choice. I am sitting here, with a little bit of money, with the rest of my life before me. I have no obligations to anyone, I am my own person. For the last couple of months, I have been on a "learning curve" about what is truly important to me. Africa is important to me. Its a special journey I want to do. But not when it is raining. Going to Eastern Europe is important to me, but when that ends, I will be broke and will have to resume life back in Sydney, right back where I was only eight months ago. Canada was special, because it allowed me to continue my travels for longer, give me a job and allow me to snowboard, meet new people, experience life in a different country.

I know I have lost respect because of this decision. But I dont care. Its been a very difficult couple of months for me, and no one understands until they're living it themselves. I have a tough two months ahead of me, leaving the Boy, going home, seeing the family and then leaving them again, but if Whistler allow me to get back into the program, then I dont think I am going to look back and feel I've made the wrong decision.

Its time not to care what other people think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Oreo said...

Kate you have no one to answer to except yourself! Dont worry about what everyone else does/thinks/says. Live your life for YOURSELF!

2:30 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Damn right you shouldn't care what others think, this is your trip-of-a-lifetime, do what you want and stop thinking so much about it!

2:54 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

First off: please stop making assumptions on our behalfs! Pretty damn arrogant that, when you come right down to it! No idea what I'm speaking of? The assumption you're making that you have already, or will soon, lose anyone's respect. Or anything else for that matter. You have not-and even if you do, well, as my son would say:

"Who the H-E-Double-Hockey-Stick cares!"

(think about it for a minute, I had to! It'll come to you!)

My Dear Kate: we all have our opinions. And we're none to shy about sharing them with you because we care. But ultimately, it is not us doing the travelling and searching and growing. It is you. Thus only you can choose. And your sole obligation is to make only those choices that are ultimately right for you. As I say at the end of my book(paraphrasing): "It's not them facing [these things]. It's you. No one else matters. Only you. Make only those choices that are right for you."

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home