Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Four Years Ago - Kuta, Bali


Tomorrow is a sad day for Australians. The Bali Bombings were Australia's September 11. It was when Australia realised that it wasnt so far away from terrorism, and that it too would not be spared from the terrible atrocities associated with it. On 12 October 2002, two bomb blasts in Bali's busy tourist area killed 202 people, 88 of which were Australians. While I'd never gone to Bali, some of my closest friends had only been there the year prior. I'd sat with them, laughing and enjoying the photos of my friends enjoying drinks and dancing in the bar which, one year later, would be blown up. You spend your life thinking that it wont ever happen to you, but I can say that the majority of Australian people my age would have known, or known someone connected to, someone who was there in Bali at the time. The hardest concept to grasp is that not one of us can say that it wont ever happen again. Just look at the world we live in now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home