Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Big Chill

I made it. And man, it is COLD. It is FECKING FREEZING. I cant believe just how cold it is. In fact, the population of Vancouver cant believe it. Its MINUS 8 with a wind chill of MINUS 20 degrees celcius here. I've had to go and buy thermals straight away, because when I walk down the street, my thighs burn because the wind is so cold.


Leaving home was surprisingly uneventful. Or maybe its just because I am getting used to travelling. I was quite nervous leaving my family, and I fell apart at the airport as usual. Mostly because I didnt want to leave Charlotte. I'd gotten very close to her over the last few weeks and it was hard to see her looking at me, not knowing what was going on.


Anyway, we got to the airport and found out that my flight was delayed by three hours due to "bad weather" in Vancouver. Sixteen hours later, with a stop in Honolulu in between, I found out that the "bad weather" was actually one of the biggest snow storms in recent times. It apparently hardly ever snows in Vancouver, so the airport only owns one snow plough... hence the delay. Despite the delay, and a nervous couple of minutes waiting to land on the ice-covered runway, I managed to get through customs at Vancouver airport, get the bus, get to the hostel and set about discovering without too much hassle.


There is a pretty cool atmosphere here. The minute you get here, there is this sense of community amongst all the "backpacking crowd". When people see you with your snowboard, or hear your accent, they ask you where you are heading, or talk to you about their experiences. Already, I've worked out that it is all about networking - not what you know, who you know. People know people who can help other people out. Its great.

I havent had time to do some proper photography but I did a couple (as above).

Will write tomorrow.

P.S - Sorry Mammy, I didnt get a chance to call you again this afternoon - I couldnt face leaving the hostel to go outside. I've never been to Siberia, but I reckon its as cold as Siberia here in Vancouver.

5 Comments:

Blogger Overboard said...

I don't believe that you are in Canada.I fink you are still in New Zealand.
But if you are in Canada, you'd better watch out...coz now you're in Superfly's turf!
You'll find him down at Kinkos, workin' the nightshift.

Watch out!

3:35 AM  
Blogger christine said...

hahahah, welcome to vancouver where yes, we are experiencing one huge dump of snow... and we're expecting more today.

but just be glad that you arrived AFTER they lifted the ban on drinking the water. lugging jugs of water home in the snow wasn't that fun!
good luck here & in whistler

10:28 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

LOL...Rising spult Australia wroong!!

Stay warm Kate!

4:29 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

And to think, a few months ago you weren't sure if you wanted to do this. Enjoy!

12:46 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Brrrrrrrrrr!Mind you Scotland won`t be much warmer! take care!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home