Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Fighting Bureaucracy Singlehandedly

As a lawyer, I have spent over three years fighting for people. Listening to their complaints, trying to find a resolution for them, and ensure that the person in the "right" finds justice on their side.

So it is interesting that when it comes to me arguing over things that personally affect me, I'd rather just "cop it sweet" and deal with it. For example, today I found that my English bank charged me a massive 30 pounds because my bank account was overdrawn by a mere 10 pounds. I had pulled my british money out of the account, into my australian account, and a shop must have delayed putting their transaction through to my account, so it took the money out of my account.

In Australia, if a person doesnt have money in their account, they cant make the purchase, simple as that. The transaction is immediately declined due to insufficient funds. Well, not for this British bank. It takes the money out regardless and then charges you 30 pounds for the privilege - they simply dont give the consumer the choice as to whether they even want the overdraw facility in the first place.

So, my account was overdrawn 10 pounds, and then I was given a 30 pound overdrawn fee, hence I now owe the bank 45 pounds. Which is a lot of money when converted back to Australian money.

I sat in my room this afternoon and stewed over this. Firstly, I was angry at myself for not reading the small print. Secondly, I stewed over the fact that I should have more control of my finances. And then, like always, considered it too much of an effort to try and argue with the bank about a term in a contract which I should have read. I hate sitting on phones arguing with faceless customer service people, who cant make decisions. I hate sitting and talking to them, only to find the matter isnt resolved, find it goes to management, find that they are just as faceless and just as rigid in their arguments on the matter.

However, today I thought "hang on a minute, this isnt right." I should have been told about this when I was "sold" this bank account by the travel company. Having an unlimited "overdraw" facility, yet copping fees when I do use it, and not know about it, is a misrepresentation. Its a major factor of this account and surely any applicant should be made aware of this.

So I jumped on the phone. To cut a long story short, the bank agreed that seeing I wasnt told about the potential for my account to be overdrawn, they have allowed the fee to be cancelled. I had to go to management (after talking with the faceless rigid customer service girl) but the guy was reasonable, understanding and quick to rectify the matter.

So maybe some things are worth fighting for....I dont like arguing. I hate it. I find it tiring, and stressful, and often think that if people chose their battles a little more wisely, there wouldnt be so much stress and pain in the world.... i just think arguing over 30 pounds seems silly when there are other things in the world to worry about.... that said, its not just me being charged 30 pounds. Its everyone else who they dont tell.....

Maybe its a case of looking at what you are fighting for, genuinely considering whether it is something you should "just deal with", or whether it is worth raising the point. If you genuinely believe that you are right, and its not just a case of causing trouble, then maybe I am right to raise the issue.

I guess I just see so many people arguing over "principle" these days, rather than thinking about what they REALLY want out of the whole process and whether it is worth the pain, angst and time.

Anyway, on a lighter note, check my shirt out. Its so ME!

2 Comments:

Blogger Overboard said...

Well done, Kate.
British banks suck big time and they deserve to get hassled.

2:53 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Ahhh...the fine art of learning to choose (carefully) one's battles. For most it only comes (if ever) with age. Good on you for learning it so early on!

What bothers me about the whole business of overdraft fees is that they are 100% an arbitrary (and thus completely unneeded fee) set entirely by the bank. In other words, the sole purpose is to make money for the bank. The bank does not incur any fees or penalties when you overdraw your account. So them charging you is just their way to make money. That being said, it should be one hell of a lot easier (not to mention one hell of a lot more common) for them to reverse those damn fees. They don't need the money, do they? I've said it before, in other posts/comments: banks worldwide are getting too big for their britches.

Well, at least your bank (seemingly) only charges you the one time. Over hear, they charge that same hefty fee daily, until you settle your account with them!!!

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home