Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Airport Funnies



I must say, I find the whole "going through airport security" quite funny. Over the past few weeks, I have encountered line after line after line of people trying to get through airport security to travel. I've had lip gloss, creams, toothpaste, the lot confiscated. People have had liquor, perfumes and other liquids taken off them because of ridiculous british aviation security rules. Do I complain? No. I laugh.

You see, when I first check in, I am asked:

1. Have I received any packages from strangers?
2. Did I pack my own luggage?
3. Did I have my luggage in my possession at all times?

I am tempted to say "well, actually some strange guy came up to me and said if i took this package, he'd give me 50 bucks, so i said yes. He was a nice guy, helped me pack it in my bag too. In fact, he even minded my bag while I went to the toilet."

I'm sorry, Mr. Heathrow, but if i was a terrorist or drug trafficker, I wouldnt chose the checkin counter to be the place where I would unveil my plans tobreak the law.

The Australian Government's Department of Transport and Regional Affairs put out a fact sheet which states at http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/factsheet/fact14.aspx:
A number of items are prohibited from being carried in the cabin of an aircraft or through a screening point because they are a security risk.

Examples of such prohibited items and weapons include:

  • knives, including metal cutlery knives
  • guns and ammunition, including toys and replicas
  • explosives
  • a pair of scissors with blades more than 6cm long, or a pair of manicure scissors
  • tools such as chisels, knitting needles and crochet hooks
  • corkscrews with sharp points
  • crossbows and spear guns
  • sporting goods that could be used to harm including bats, sticks, poles, rods and spikes
This list of prohibited items that cant go in the cabin is also found at the check in desk and also customs.

How many times have you overheard someone say "Oh damn, honey, I knew I should have put the cross bow and the spear gun in my suitcase!"

And as for the explosives, the Australian Government would much prefer they go into the hull of the airplane instead of in the seating area!!!

Thankfully, the Australian Government provides a factsheet which gives you great advice in their factsheet - "If you are unsure about any such items, please check with your airline before you travel - or leave them [being the cross bow, stick of dynamite or AK47 replica] at home."

Ahhh.... you have to look at the bright side of life sometimes otherwise we'd all go crazy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home