Monday, October 10, 2005

Overwhelmed in London

Its been a little while since I last wrote so firstly I must apologise to all reading. Secondly, this computer at the hostel doesnt have an exposed USB port so I am unable to update some photos.

Now that the formal apologies have been provided, I now must somehow update you all on what has happened since leaving Paris.

After leaving Paris, and having spent almost five days there, I was eager to get out and see another side of France - the France that you see with the sprawling fields and old towns. I was also determined to do some Chateau spotting. However, when planning my trip, I only gave myself one day to do all of this. Not smart. After realising that by the time I got out of Paris and into the Loire Valley, it would be around 2pm. And that would leave me about 4 hours to find some Chateaux, find a place to stay, and then work out how to get to the Loire Valley airport ready to fly out to London at 12 midday the following day. All of this would need to be done by using french trains and buses.

After working out that I would all be too hard, I pulled out the trusty Amex card, caught a train to Tours (the main town/city), walked into Avis Hire Cars, got myself a car and hit the road. What an experience. Firstly, I made a right fool out of myself by climbing into the drivers side only to realise that it was actually the passengers side. Then once working out where to sit, I put my foot on the clutch, started the car, and by the sound of the god-awful revving of the little 306 Peugeot, the clutch was actually the accelerator and then i reached for the gear stick (stick shift) only to get the handle that opens the window - the stick was actually on the other side too. It was raining, so in an attempt to turn the wipers on, I got my right blinker and when turning left out the street, I increased the speed of my wiper blades. All was not going to be well on the french roads, it would seem. However, they were teething problems, and the rest of the driving day occured without any major incident.

I ended up finding a place to stay in the grounds of the Chateau de Chambord and stayed the night, then off I went to catch my flight back to London.

(my time on the internet is running out)

Then I went straight down to Liphook, which is down in Surrey/West Sussex to stay the weekend with Janine. Far too many wines were consumed, a day was spent in the glorious English sunshine (no, really, it was sunny) at the Goodward Races (I lost miserably, but silently came to the conclusion that it was worth the cost for a great day out) and just enjoyed the general day to day living of an English village. I made a load of friends and it was great to finally see Janine again (my best friend from my uni days).

Now I am back in London and I'm once again overwhelmed by the pace of this city. Having taken about 4000 photos, and am suffering great photo fatigue, i havent really done too much of the sight seeing activities. I've been checking out the shops and enjoying the unusual english sunshine.

Oh, and I am also trying to work out how to get my phone back, which I have accidently left down with Janine. ARGGGH! Trip back down to Surrey I think on Wednesday, before I fly out Wednesday night.

Then it is off to Dubai for me and depending on the bank balance (which has dwindled incredibly since arriving back in London) I am going to hit the Dubai Duty Free!!!

Love to all.

Oh and Janine, you have my phone!!!

Ma, message me on my other number. I'm trying to recharge it somehow but am not having the greatest of luck. Failing that, will phone you from one of those cute little red telephone box that eats lots of my money.

Talk soon to ya'all

XOXOXOXO

K

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dont be ski instructor Baby your bones only little and u almost need Olympic recognition and the ability to ski well. got your phone yet. you hopeless I thought you might have managed one trip without losing something. at least a phone is easier to replace than your passport. Dad said hello Tigger says meow and me send lots of love. Mum.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home