Saturday, December 31, 2005

A Very Quiet New Years Eve for Me



I have a feeling I am the only nerd on the planet that is on his/her blog this late on New Years Eve. I have a confession to make. I intend to sit here and read travel websites right up until midnight.

Yes, i have turned my back on all New Years celebrations and have opted to sit this year out. Instead, I plan to turn to my best mate, my sister, and wish her a Happy New Year, and then lean down into Charlotte's cradle and give her a kiss on the cheek. I then intend to head home, and fall into bed, close my eyes and descend into a peaceful slumber.

New Years has always been the biggest night of my social calendar for the past eight years. I've stood under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and cracked a bottle of champagne all over my gorgeous dress, I have laid on a Central Coast beach with friends staring at the stars making resolutions, and (shamefully) I have had New Years nights where I have been too drunk to even make it to midnight! (those times were in my teen years, I promise!). And I cant go without mentioning one thing - if it wasnt for one New Years Eve (1999/2000) (as I am sure a few of you reading this blog are well aware) I would never have met a group of very important people in my life - Keri, Pauline, and the rest of the Williams clan.

But this year I made a conscious decision to hang up the Stilettos and watch 2005 slide by slowly and quietly with my family. It certainly would not have made sense me going out, blowing hundreds of dollars, getting horribly drunk and feeling sorry for myself. I can sit here and do that for free! (Kidding). I just need to save money right now. And stay away from alcohol. All of the girls have gone up to Byron Bay, NYE Party Central for the week but I had to pull out at the last minute because I needed to save the money (lucky I did - it now goes towards car repairs). Those that didnt go to Bryon have all gone and bought expensive tickets to see Fatboy Slim at Bondi, bought expensive tickets to go to Luna Park, or are at some other highly priced event on the Harbour foreshore. If I was still at my gorgeous unit in Drummoyne, I would have been able to sit on my back lawn with a bottle of champagne and watched the fireworks directly in front of me.

But it is okay. I made the decision to go away. I have made the decision not to drink alcohol. I made the decision to move back home with my parents. I have made the deliberate decision to be a social recluse for my own good. And I am never going to regret the decisions i have made, as long as I live.

Happy New Year everyone!

K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home