Monday, September 18, 2006

The Journey Within

I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within. ~Lillian Smith

I have less than six weeks left in Edinburgh, Scotland. My departure has crept up on me, only because I have been so busy worrying about my future. But despite the confusion, the fear, the worry about where I am headed, I know that regardless of where I end up, I will look back on my time in Edinburgh fondly. The past six months have been so wonderful, and at the same time, so hard, but I guess it is all about the journey within as much as it is about the journey itself.

Edinburgh is a magnificent place, with some wonderful people. I have made so many friends, both from work and outside of work, and I have also had the assistance of family friends to help me out. I have enjoyed travelling the length of the country, and can say I have seen more of this country than my own. I fell in love with the Scots' humour, their relaxed attitude to life, and their hospitality. I particularly enjoyed Festival time the most, with all of the amazing performers, the colours and the atmosphere.

When I arrived in Scotland way back in April 2006, I didnt know where life would take me. I was terrified and I was alone. Now, I sit here, in September 2006, with some great people around me, including an amazing person by my side (the Boy). Despite the difficult times we've had to endure together, he has become my best friend and greatest source of support. While I leave him behind, I take with me knowledge that he will continue to be by my side, even if we cant be together.

As I slowly pack up my room, I fold my Scottish flag up and place it in my backpack, knowing that as I leave, I take a bit of Scotland with me. The last thing I want is to say goodbye to Scotland forever.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Confusion, fear, and worry!! I love it, darling!! You're so dramatic!!

Have you been reading the Bronte sisters? "Wuthering Heights"? It goes with the territory, you know (the heaths of Scotland).

Just relax, and be happy. Life will sort itself out; the Universe will provide. Confusion, fear and worry will only get you more of the same.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Overboard said...

Hey Kate,
You hit the nail on the head with the hammer in the post below when you mentioned about having all these choices. And doesn't it feel fabulous to have these choices. We are both exceedingly lucky. Both reaching our 6 months stage of having left our old lives behind. Hey, I might even do another stint in Japan before going to the boat.[I like the smell of easy money]. But whatever we decide to do, the decision will be the best one for you, and I.
It's great to be lucky but you have been luckier than I because you've been getting regular roots, whereas I've had to settle for a mere handful! Sigh.
Tee hee.
love
Maria
xxxx

11:41 AM  
Blogger KateOnTheGo said...

You seriously make me laugh, M. hehehhehe

12:07 PM  
Blogger rob said...

Is it really six months? Christ! life doesn`t half pass quickly when one is old :O))

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home