Thursday, March 23, 2006

Finding Nemo

.
Today was one of those days when it really hits me just how lucky I am to be travelling. Had I not decided to travel, I would never have come to Thailand - and I would have never discovered snorkelling. I love it!

Considering I have always had a phobia of the ocean and what may be underneath, I didnt imagine I would love it so much. Today I snorkelled in the most amazing environment I have ever seen. It was awesome. I was floating around in the middle of the Andaman Sea with googles and a snorkel and I felt entirely safe - and awestruck by a world I never knew existed. It was like I was swimming around in a tropical fish tank, only bigger. I was literally swimming with hundred of thousands of different species of tropical fish, all of spectacular fluoro colours, and shapes.
.

And yes, I found Nemo!!!! We'd snorkelled three different areas and I hadnt come across a clown fish, so I asked the tour guide to take me to where Nemo was. Soon enough I was swimming underwater in amongst the aqua marine life that starred in Finding Nemo - Scar was there, Dory and of course Nemo! I wish I had an underwater camera! I may go back to one of the reefs in the next day or so with one.... otherwise I will regret doing it for the rest of my life.

We also went to Maya Bay, the place where the Beach was filmed. I had quite low expectations about the place and I had every right to have them - the place is overrun with massive tourist boats (including the one I was on, i'm ashamed to say) and when you get on to the actual "Beach", there's hundreds of people, dumping loads of rubbish everywhere. Going there wasnt disappointing, because I didnt have high hopes that it would be great. But apart from Maya Bay, the rest of the tour was simply indescribable. I cant explain just how beautiful this place is.
.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's 11.45pm here and Mum and I have just got off the phone after I let her know there was a new post. Even my descriptive ability could not convey over the phone just how hilarious your picture is! :)

CLASSIC!

xxx

4:45 AM  
Blogger rob said...

When you take the underwater piccies can you post them here? it would be great to share in the experience.

3:06 PM  
Blogger mi said...

i'm glad u found nemo!!

and i love it that you have a laptop.. then you don't leave us for periods of time that are too long.. :)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate
Just love the picture of you in the mask. I got sea sick when I went snorkelling.Good to see you are enjoying yourself. Joy

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home