Sunday, March 26, 2006

Goodbye Paradise

.
Well, it is all over for me here in Railey, as I pack my bags and head off to Bangkok. From Bangkok I join the flight to London via Dubai with Emirates.
.
I ended up throwing monetary caution to the wind and joined the Snorkelling trip that went out at 2.30pm yesterday, and I took an underwater camera. While the water was quite rough and the recent rain had stirred up the ocean (and decreased the visibility), I still enjoyed every minute of it. I will truly remember this trip because of the awesome snorkelling I experienced. We did about five islands, and at the end, went night swimming in the Andamen Sea. It was an extraordinary experience, as we swam in pitch dark conditions. All of the boat lights were turned off and we had the once-in-a-lifetime experience of seeing phosphorous lights. For those that dont know what this is, Wikipedia says that phosphorous:


"is highly reactive and gives-off a faint glow upon uniting with oxygen."
.
In short, when the phosphorous detected movement of our hands and feet, it was like we were swimming in amongst thousands of little stars, like glitter. It was truly spectacular, (despite me having to give away all fear of sharks, jelly fish and the like in order to experience this phenomenon!).
.
I have experienced so many great things here and I really love Thailand. That said, I am eager to get to a hot shower (have had cold showers for five days), to not smell abnormal smells everywhere I go, to dry out my clothes, and my skin is in desperate need of a day without sunburn! Seeing I am heading to London, I guess there will be plenty of those days ahead!





Beautiful flowers everywhere!
















The sun sets on a wonderful holiday in Thailand.

5 Comments:

Blogger Oreo said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself Kate! I'm really excited about going to Thailand too....whenever that will be! It's gonna be put off a few months cuz I am staying here I think :)

8:41 PM  
Blogger rob said...

The phospherescence encountered in the sea at night is a truly great experience. it also occurs when one is steaming along at night at sea and one flushes the WC. many a scream can be heard from a "first timer" as they encounter it with such comment as "martians in the dunny" and I dont remember eating that! Great pictures! Londons calling. weathers cr*p just above freezing and raining at the moment.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

Thank you so much Kate (and Rob too) for thinking to describe phospherescence! I had never heard of this - so it was wonderful learning about it! How awesome that must have been! I am loving this, Kate! Just loving it. Keep the posts, and the photos coming!

And ... I clearly got that you were reluctant to leave Thailand. I would be too!

6:49 AM  
Blogger mi said...

oh kate!!

i'm so so so glad you are having such a great time!!

i wish you the best of trips.. and come back to blogger world.. i miss having comments on mine every morning.

3:40 PM  
Blogger David said...

Kate, I love all of these pictures. You have an 'eye'.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home