Sunday, March 26, 2006

Reflections

.
I am sitting here in Krabi with about five hours to spare. I then get to Bangkok and have another six hours to spare. Yes, it is going to be a long day. Already I have spent the last couple of hours wandering the streets of Krabi, buying the odd knick-knack (eg. bag, scarg, earrings), soaking in the Thai atmosphere.

From my last blog entry, i feel like I gave off the impression that I wanted to get the heck out of here quickly. But that is certainly not the case. Thailand is a very special place, and the more you get away from the Phuket/Patong (even Railay) etc areas, the more special it becomes. That said, I doubt that Thailand is for everyone. Its hot and steamy, often rainy, hard to navigate and for the most part, dirty.
.
It not only requires an open mind but also an open heart. While most people would believe that Thai people are beggars, trying to do you out of your money, its not true. They are warm hearted people and in most circumstances, they are offering you a deal which is exactly the same as the struggling guy down the road.
.
I've found that the more you barter, the more you affect their standard of living (and keeping in mind that their standard of living is really tough) so I've tended to buy for around 80% of the marked price, rather than the 50% that most tourists try to obtain.
.
So, if there is anything that I would like to do when I come back to South Thailand is to learn how to trust the Thai people more. I've realised that they actually arent out to steal your money or your belongings. As one of the boat guys said to me this morning "This not Phuket or Bangkok. We nice people."
.
After five days here, I think I believe him. These people do a great job at living with what they have got, not begging for more.
.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a fantastic time! Great pics (as usual) and good descriptive posts! Love it!

xxx

PS Pauline told Mum it wasn't just cold, it was FREEZING in the UK! Bet ya can't wait for that!

12:54 AM  
Blogger David said...

Great pictures and I've really enjoyed reading about your trip!

3:33 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Funny how allowing ourselves to simply meet people on their own terms and open our eyes and hearts to their truth wipes out so many pre-conceived notions! Many years ago I had a similar experience that my friend, because of her firmly held pre-conceived notions, missed out on. Fear and prejudice truly can be so limiting!

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home