Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Setting Up A Life In London

.
What a ride! One minute I am interviewing with recruiters, next minute I am setting up a limited company, working out phones, getting bank accounts ready and trying to get some kind of routine in my day. The bank accounts, phones and limited companies are worked out, but as for trying to find normalacy and routine, that will not happen at least for a couple of months, once I have found a job and a place to live.
.
Yesterday's meeting at Badenoch and Clark went really really really well. Not only did they ask me if I wanted a job with them (it is SERIOUSLY tempting), I also found myself scheduled for FOUR meetings as opposed to just one meeting. It looks like industrial relations lawyers are in some kind of demand at the moment, and ironically, yesterday the entire public service went on strike as a result of new employment laws here in England (sounds a bit familiar!!!).
.
So, you can imagine that I am rubbing my hands together right now knowing that the industrial side of things appears hot hot hot right now in England. I felt that Australia was slowly losing its spark industrially, so who knows, this may be my jurisdiction. I am not getting too excited just yet, because I must first get a job before creating waves on the industrial scene.
.
My preference for jobs now appears to be centred on public service. I have always worked in private practice so the idea of no billable hours and flexi time is very tempting. The pay is a little lower, but as I say, this decision to move was to change my lifestyle, not affect the bank balance. As long as I am not in "minus" figures at the end of the day, then it suits me.

I'm still living at the hostel, which isnt so bad. My room last night only had one girl and I, which was great. I can spread my stuff out and not have to worry about it. I have all of my valuables locked up, but all my clothes can lie around! Just like home!!!

Anyway, I am hoping to post some photos of London tomorrow, because I am venturing out now to take some happy snaps (weather permitting). Its not that cold in London - I am actually quite surprised at the moment!

Au revoir for now,

K

*kiss for charlotte*

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you believe the news, bosses are sacking people all over the place here, since the laws came into effect on Monday.

Can't wait for pics of London!
xxx

4:02 AM  
Blogger rob said...

Good luck Kate! not sure about public service work, private practice usually pays more. your good? (the best of course) so stick out for the best pay. the brits do like to haggle. :o))

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home